Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pizza Day!

I (Casey) decided to make a "healthy" version of pizza! So.. I made a whole wheat crust. It was good, but I perfer just a regular white crust. If you're feeling healthy, here's what you need for the wheat crust
water, yeast, honey, wheat flour, and olive oil. In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, and honey
set that mixture aside. Put 2 cups of the flour in a food processor. Place the lid on the processor and turn on. Slowly pour the yeast mixture into the top of the food processor while running
excuse all of the background junk.. I was too lazy to move it. Let that run about 30 seconds and you should get this
add the remaining flour to the dough (i used all purpose for the remaining flour) and pulse until just combined. Pour some olive oil in a bowl, and roll your dough ball in the oil until completely covered, adding more oil if needed
cover with a damp towel and place in a warm area (I put mine in my oven that was turned off). Let the crust rise for an hour, or until it gets to about this size
press the air out of the dough and split into two. Roll each crust out, forming thicker edges as the crust
I couldn't make up my mind, so I made two different kinds of pizzas. Now, the toppings are up to you, but first I made a sausage, onion, & pepper pizza with marinara sauce. This is what I used for this pizza
mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, marinara sauce, italian sausage, and bell peppers. Place the crust on a pizza stone or cookie sheet and start preparing your pizza. Spread some marinara sauce on your crust
then sprinkle with a generous amount of both cheeses
now the peppers, onions, & sausage
bake until desired doneness.. is that gramatically correct? Anyways, here's the finished pizza
and my slice :)
now for the other pizza. I made this one a pesto, sundried tomato, & basil pizza. Here's what you'll need for this one
mozzarella cheese, pesto, sundried tomatoes, and basil. Place the other pizza dough on a cookie sheet and spread pesto around the crust
sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the pesto (I also added some shredded parmesan cheese)
then the sundried tomatoes and basil
the finished pesto pizza
and my other slice
These were both super yummy and I couldn't decide which one I liked better. I thought the pesto pizza would be even better with some sliced and grilled chicken on top.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. honey
2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
*desired toppings

In a small bowl, stir together the first 3 ingredients; let sit for about 5 minutes. Place 2 cups of flour in the food processor. Turn on and slowly pour in the yeast mixture. Let run about 25-30 seconds. Now add the remaining flour and pulse just until combined. Pour olive oil in a bowl and roll dough ball in the oil until completely covered. Cover with a thin, damp towel. Let sit in a warm place for an hour. Punch down the dough and split into two. Roll each ball out until desired thickness, leaving the outsides thicker for the crust. Place each pizza dough on a cookie sheet or pizza stone. Cover with desired toppings and bake at 500 degress for 10-15 minutes. Cool, slice, and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment