Sunday, January 23, 2011

We All Scream For Ice Cream!

There is something about ice cream, I (Casey) don't know what it is, but I crave it 24/7. Luckily, I have my best friend, Meredith to pig out on it with me. There is snow on the ground and we will still do anything to have some birthday cake ice cream. A couple of days ago, we made a trip to Brusters, and there was NO birthday cake. It was very dissapointing. Mer and I just would not take no for an answer, so I decided to make some to fufill our craving! Here's what you need for the base ice cream
Sugar, whole milk, vanilla, heavy whipping cream, yellow cake mix, and ice cream salt. Whisk together milk and sugar until sugar dissolves
Whisk in vanilla and heavy whipping cream until well combined
Now whisk in the cake mix, making sure there are no lumps
Put it in your ice cream maker and let it do it's thing (this part is what the rock salt is for)
After 40 minutes, I got this
I couldn't decide what mix-ins I wanted in my cake batter ice cream, so I split it in half and did two different combinations; Birthday Cake (cake batter ice cream with frosting and sprinkles) and Oreos and Cookie Dough (I mean exactly what I said, cake batter ice with chopped oreos and eggless cookie dough) First, I put together the oreos and cookie dough combination
Split the ice cream into two seperate containers. Chop your oreos and cookie dough into bite size pieces, pour on top of one of the containers filled with ice cream. Gently fold in
Sprinkle more on top
Put that in the freezer and keep in there until hardened, or ready to eat. Here it is after it has completely frozen
Scoop into a bowl and eat up!
 Now for the Birthday Cake ice cream! You'll need to prepare your frosting. I use wilton buttercream for this. You will need butter, shortening, vanilla, powdered sugar, milk, and food coloring (I used blue, but you can use any color you want)!
Beat together butter, shortening, and vanilla
Add milk and powdered sugar until well combined. Mix in the milk and food coloring.
Now your ready to assemble your birthday cake ice cream
Spred out a thick layer of ice cream in a container. Dollop some frosting in random places, top with sprinkles
Repeat until you run out of ice cream (you will probably have left over frosting). Let that chill in the freezer until hard. Finished product...
I gotta say it.. Get in my belly.
-I feel like this post is confusing, I'm sorry, I did the best I could! Let us know if you have any questions!


Cake Batter Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup yellow cake mix

In a medium size bowl, whisk together milk and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add heavy cream and vanilla, mix well. Whisk in the cake mix, making sure there are no lumps. Pour into your ice cream maker, follow the directions your ice cream maker gives you. 

For Oreo & Cookie Dough:
-Oreo's, chopped into bite size pieces
-1 recipe eggless cookie dough, cut into bite size pieces
Put Oreo's and eggless cookie dough in your finished ice cream. Gently fold in. Sprinkle more Oreo's and cookie dough on top. Freeze until completely hard, or ready to eat.

For Birthday Cake:
-1 recipe Wilton buttercream frosting(I usually make half a recipe and have plenty)
-Colorful Sprinkles
Spread out a layer of finished ice cream. Dollop bite size pieces of frosting on top. Top with sprinkles. Repeat; ice cream, frosting, sprinkles. Do that until you run out of ice cream. Freeze until completely hard or ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment